Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Teen Magazines



My daughter loves to read her teen magazines. She mostly gets ideas for fashion and style in them, but some of them discuss things like dating and other teen issues. I like to look through them, too, because it gives me an idea of what is in and out in the world of teens today. I WISH there was a magazine for PARENTS of teenagers!! I read parenting magazines for years, but when my kids outgrew childhood and moved into puberty, these magazines did not move into this stage with us. I do not understand why there are magazines for pregnancy, childbirth, parenting babies/toddlers/preschoolers/and young children, but there are NONE that pick up from there!! Sure, there are tons of teen magazines--but they speak to the teens, NOT the parents!! I feel kind of isolated as I go about trying to raise my teens--I always have loved having current advice and support through magazines as I moved through the various parenting stages. I love reading magazines specific to my life--right now, I read More Magazine (for women over 40) and Oprah Magazine (very much like her show--full of ecouragement and empowerment for women). I CRAVE a magazine for "Parents of Teenagers"--but there isn't one. Oh, well--I guess I will share my daughter's teen magazines--I will skip the "how to get a boy to like you" crap, though!! I just like looking at the fashion and style pages to get an idea of what she may like for gifts. And we BOTH like to read about celebrity gossip! :)

No comments: