Monday, October 8, 2007

Attending Church



My son requested that we attend a local church today, so we did. I still have a lot of mixed feelings about organized religion, but I can see that my son needs some structure right now, so I will find it for him. I am sure that the death of his friend has caused him to become more aware of his own mortality. I can see him working through his own issues and making his own decisions about these things. Nothing brings people closer to God than tragedy and grief. I hope he finds the solace that he needs right now. Whether he finds it in a church building, at home in his prayers, or in the great outdoors--I hope he will discover that God is everywhere and he doesn't have to be within the realm of traditional paths to find Him. If "going to church" helps him feel better, than I will help him. If he just needs time alone to pray and read the Bible, I will give him that time. Whatever he needs, I'll be there for him. Seeing someone die young, especially when you are also young, really "hits home." I hope he finds peace and comfort.

No comments: