Sunday, October 14, 2007

Celebrating MY Birthday




My teens don't really like Cracker Barrel as much as I do, but it was my birthday today and this is where I wanted to eat. They can pick the restaurant on their birthdays--today was my turn. We did notice a lot of interesting things while we were there--it is a great place for "people watching," and we just couldn't help but comment on some of the "country" (i.e. redneck) things that were hanging on the walls. I used to be enamored by country things--I even liked the magazine, Country Living. It's funny how much people change through the years--I don't like it at all now. I used to find antiques and historical things to be "charming"--now I just see them as outdated. My mother still loves these things--she probably will always want to decorate her home in the "Early American" style. She just isn't into modern styles and never will be. I don't know if my teenagers are part of the reason for my changing tastes--they like a lot of modern things from Pottery Barn Teen and Ikea. Their tastes may be influencing me--or I may just be expressing my new progressive thinking that affects many areas of my life. I used to dream of living in a historic home that has been preserved in its original state. Now, I dream of living in a very modern style home with all of the latest technology in it. I used to eat at Cracker Barrel and think that I wanted to decorate my home in a similar way. Now, I have no interest in doing so. When we move, I think I will sell all of my antiques and rustic furniture and purchase some modern decorations for our new home. My teenagers are very happy about this prospect--they HATE my rustic country furniture such as my farmhouse table, ladder-back chairs, and pine armoire. They will be glad to see more modern furnishings in our new home. I also hope to fill our new home will a lot of high-tech electronics. I used to want to hide the television in an antique cabinet--now I want a large plasma tv hanging on the wall. My how times have changed! :) So I no longer get my home decorating ideas from Cracker Barrel--but the food is still delicious! :)

No comments: