Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Online Games



My son loves to play online games like RuneScape and World of Warcraft. I have monitored his gaming sessions before, and they seem innocent enough I guess. I think he can play against his friends and even chat with them while playing. He likes the challenge of moving up to different levels--unlike some of his PS2 games, I think there is no limit to how far a player can go. My son owns many games that he claims to have completed--he got to the highest level and "beat the game"--so now he is bored with those games. Apparently, the online games justs keep getting better and the sky is the limit. The only problem we have about these games is regarding the amount of time he wants to spend on them. We have had to put limits on this in the past. During the summer, he would play all day every day if we didn't limit him on it. During the school year, he has been known to play when he should be doing his homework. I will say that he did that more during middle school than he seems to be doing during high school--he seems to be balancing school and homework time well with his leisure time these days. We are proud to see him make this transition--it shows maturity. So, for now, I guess there is nothing wrong with an occasional online game--except when someone else needs to use the computer for work or school! :)

No comments: