Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Math is...


My daughter is struggling a bit in math, and I completely understand how she feels. Some people have very logistical minds and math comes fairly easy to them. Others, including myself, are more talented in areas such as language and communication--and sometimes we have a tough time grasping some mathematical concepts. My teens know to ask Dad for help with math and Mom for help with writing--he uses math every day in his job, and I write and edit every day in mine. It doesn't insult him when they don't want his help with writing papers and essays, and it doesn't insult me when they know NOT to ask me for help with math. Thankfully, they have a balance of both sides with us--if we BOTH were good at math and bad at writing, or vice-versa, there might be a problem. Even so, they are also at an age where they rarely turn to their parents for help with homework. But when a question does arise, they know which parent can provide the best help in a particular subject. And when it comes to science and geography, the internet is a wonderful resource that we ALL can use quite proficiently. Remember when we were younger and would "look it up" in things like World Book Encyclopedias?--now the internet takes the place of that and is continually updated. One night I was the only parent available when my daughter had a math question, so we turned to the internet. We looked up the concepts and found some information that helped her understand enough to complete the homework. I STILL do not really like math, and I will never really be good at it--but that's ok with me. But if you need someone to edit the paper you are writing, I'm your gal! :)

No comments: