Monday, October 8, 2007

Science Project


My daughter had an interesting science project due this week. She had to make a model of a cell, and she could use almost anything to build her model. It was even suggested that things like Jello and fruit could be used. After trying several ideas, she ended up using the Jello and fruit idea. It was interesting! :) I remember when my son was in the 7th grade--he made a model out of K'Nex. It was also interesting! Neither one of them is REALLY into science, though. They are much more interested in art and music. They have no interest in making projects for the Science Fair if it isn't required. I am ALMOST certain that I can rule out having doctors or nurses in the family--it just isn't their thing. BUT--I AM glad that there are people who ARE interested in science--without them, life would be SO different and NOT for the better. Thanks to all of those young scientists who grew up to discover/invent/create things that made such a difference in our lives! :) I bet that most of them began their explorations in the world of science at very young ages--and I bet they had the most impressive science projects in their classes. So science isn't really OUR favorite subject in our household, but it's a good thing that it IS the favorite subject of many students--those students may grow up to do history-making things in the world of science and medicine. And by the way, although I AM a Christian who believes in "creationism" and I am teaching my son and daughter the same, I DO recognize the importance of scientific principles in relation to life on earth. There are many things we NEED to know about the earth and how it works. I don't see a conflict between the two sides: designed by God and following the paths of science. We haven't really had any major issues come up about it in our local public schools--it all seems to be working together well. Scientists have done many things that could be considered miracles (I speak from experience)! We are EXTREMELY thankful for those who dedicate their lives to the study of science and medicine even if we aren't necessarily all that "into it" ourselves. :)

No comments: