Monday, October 29, 2007

The Diet Coke and Mentos Experiment


My son was at a friend's house when they decided to try the well-known Diet Coke and Mentos experiment. I think all you have to do is put the mentos in the bottle, close it, and watch what happens--oh, yeah...and LOOK OUT! Apparently, it worked exactly as they expected it to do--the pressure built up in the bottle and the bottle exploded. They report that the bottle flew several feet into the air before landing with a loud thump back into the yard. There were remains of the Mentos scattered everywhere! They were amazed and thought it was an awesome experiment. They had watched it on "Mythbusters" and wanted to try it themselves. It worked and they remained safe throughout the entire experiment--no damage was done to any property. I'm not sure WHY teenage boys are so fascinated with things like this, but they are--things blowing up, things getting destroyed, things being ripped apart to expose the inner workings--my son has always found things like this to be extremely interesting. As long as no one gets hurt and no damage is done, I guess it is okay with me. I'm glad it worked so well and they learned a bit of chemistry and physics in the process. Thanks to "Mythbusters," they will probably try a few more experiments in the future. I just hope they always proceed with caution and use their best judgement in these experiments. I think they are learning a very valuable lesson: science can be really cool! :)

No comments: