Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Learning About the World


My daughter had some geography homework and spent a long time getting it done tonight. She has to memorize a lot of things about other countries in the world, and she has to label maps with things like population and economic information about each region. It's hard work, but it is a worthwhile endeavor. Many studies have shown that average Americans don't know enough about other parts of the world, so I am glad to see my daughter expanding her knowledge beyond the U.S. borders. My son had the same class in 7th grade and he learned a lot--now he is also taking World History in high school. While we DO need to learn about our own country (American History is also a subject they will encounter), I think that it is a very good thing to have "world knowledge" instead of just "American knowledge." I am proud of both my son and daughter--they are both doing very well as they learn about how others live all around the world.

No comments: