Saturday, October 20, 2007

Downloading Photos



My daughter received an email the other day with a invitation to see her friend's photos at snapfish.com. She signed up as a member and looked at her friend's photos. She wanted some of them, but I wasn't available to help her so she just copied and pasted them into her own files. She then edited them and added text to them with photo editing software. She printed them out and shared her creations with her friends. I don't know what all of the rules and regulations are with snapfish.com, but her friend (who "owned" the originals) said it was fine for my daughter to copy the photos this way. With all of the copyright infringement talk going on lately, I don't know what is or is not okay. Here, I posted the image and logo of snapfish--I hope that is okay. I am not making any money off of other people's copyrighted material--but I am still wondering where the line is drawn. Anyway--with downloadable music, movies, videos, photos, etc.--it's just hard to know what is acceptable and what is not. In this case, I think it is okay for my daughter to have photos taken by her friend, edit them, and show them to her other friends. I guess if she was presenting them in a more public manner, there would be issues and she would need to credit the original photographer. This reminds me of when my mother wanted copies of some family photos--the developer would only do snapshots, not professional portraits--they cited copyright issues. Or one time I wanted a bakery to create a cake with the theme of a certain product, but they wouldn't--they also cited copyright issues. Well, in both of those cases, money was being exchanged. I guess, as long as we are not trying to make money off of someone else or take credit for their work, I guess it's okay. I will definitely look into this matter more, though. The internet opens things up to everyone, but sometimes copyright issues put a snag in things. Anyway--my daughter, AND her friend, enjoyed the photos. Hope it's okay! :)

No comments: