Friday, April 18, 2008

Using Free Cell Phone Minutes



WOW! My bill was fine--no more than usual--thankfully I have free nights and weekends!! My teens--especially my son--have been using my phone when it is free after 9 pm and on the weekends. I normally use around 350 minutes or less a month--I am on a plan for 450 minutes a month. I never go over--many of my calls are Verizon to Verizon (free) or on the weekends (also free). I only use about 200 or less of my "anytime minutes." I was shocked to see how many minutes my teens used this month--not a problem since it was the free minutes, but still shocking! I did the math--if they had used my anytime minutes (not "in calling" or on nights or weekends), I would be way over my allowance--almost 4,000 minutes over! WOW--what would that have cost if it wasn't free? I think I would be charged 35 cents per minute over 450--that would come to about $1400 if I had been charged for all of those minutes!! WOW!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for free nights and weekends!!! Whew! I insisted that my teens wait until the free time started before calling anyone--guess it worked out fine, but I still can't believe how much they talked! I also refilled their cell phone minutes recently--they have been very careful with those minutes so far. They have finally figured out that using MY phone when it is free is a better deal! Still, I don't always want to give MY phone to them--sometimes I need it myself. I do like it when they can use their phones to call me when they aren't home--it is a great way to stay in touch, know where they are, and know when they need a ride home. If they save their phones for those circumstances, I will be happy. And, for now, I guess I will continue to let them use my free night and weekend minutes--I can't really complain as long as it is free!

No comments: