Monday, April 28, 2008

Self Defense



My son is not a bully--and he usually is not a victim, either. The other day, a friend of his was being attacked. My son and his friends stepped in to help defend their friend. I'm not sure who was hit or who swung any punches, but it turned into a big fight. Unfortunately, this happened on the school bus. My son and ALL of the boys ended up getting in trouble for fighting. Some of the boys were on the attack and some were using self-defense--but they ALL got into trouble. I'm not sure what advice to give--just ignoring or standing by while a friend is being attacked is not good. Alerting the bus driver could be an option, but one time my son did just that and was then attacked for ratting on the person who started the fight. Luckily, no one was hurt--everyone was just angry, at each other and for getting into trouble. If a friend is being attacked, shouldn't you try to pull the attacker off of him? That is what my son said that he was doing. Oh well--everyone is ok and apparently they are all friends again. The aggressive behavior of adolescent boys is completely foreign to me--I just don't know exactly how to handle these situations. I tell my son to be nice to everyone and don't start any trouble, but when it comes to defending himself or a friend, that is a different story. I just hope there aren't any more of these situations--I don't know how to handle them very well!

No comments: