Monday, April 28, 2008

Shouting Match


My teens were also yelling at each other during their latest fight. I wish they would heed my advice and just ignore each other, but they can't seem to let things slide. One says something, the other says something, and back and forth it goes. The voices elevate, and then they are yelling at each other. Sometimes it culminates with door slamming, and sometimes they come to me with the hope that I will solve the argument. I try to stay out of it unless I feel I really need to intervene. I want them to learn to work things out between them without me having to be a referee. Sometimes they do a good job working things out--after some time has passed, that is. I do like the fact that they tend to split up and cool off first. It is much easier to work things out when you are calm--trying to come up with a compromise when everyone is angry doesn't usually yield very good results. This sibling thing is complicated, but they are learning a lot as they go through the process of learning to get along with each other. Great preparation for the future!

No comments: