Friday, April 4, 2008

Creative Declarations of Love


Another way that my son has recently declared his love for his girlfriend is through "window art." He has some washable markers (yes, it DOES come off or I would be very angry about this!)--and he wrote a love note on his window for his girlfriend. He then took a photo of it and uploaded it to her through text messaging. I thought it was a very sweet gesture! Still, I also am getting a bit worried--I hope he isn't getting TOO serious! He is only fifteen! I did look back at some of my teenage memories--I was declaring my "love" for my various boyfriends at that age, too. I know that I was still quite innocent at that age and my "love" was heartfelt but not at all mature love yet. Many teenagers declare their love for each other, and then a month or so later say the same things to someone else. This is my son's third girlfriend of the school year--he seemed to be declaring his love equally in all three situations. I believe that all of these situations have remained on an innocent level--no big issues yet. Of course, I worry about two things in these situations: his physical health and his emotional health. We talk a lot and he talks to his dad about things--his physical health seems safe right now. I think I am more worried about his emotional health at this point--he is putting his heart on the line right now and I just don't want to see him get hurt. As he enters these early dating relationships, he seems to put his whole heart into it. I know we all have to learn how to deal with these things by experiencing them--still, I kind of wish that he was less serious with these girls. Maybe next year, when he is driving and taking girls on car dates, hopefully he will "play the field" a bit more. I think a young teen should LIKE a lot of people as they begin dating--I worry when they tend to "fall in love" with each one. Casual and innocent dating sure is easier on a young teen's heart! The more involved they let their heart get, the harder it will be when the inevitable break up occurs. For now, he thinks he loves this girl--I just can't help but worry about the implications--get too serious and problems could occur--break up and hearts are devastated. Teens and dating--I would NEVER want to repeat that experience! I am having a difficult time handling it all from a parental point of view, too!

No comments: