Monday, November 12, 2007

Halloween With Teens



My daughter is 13 and my son is almost 15, so I didn't think Halloween would be a big deal with us this year. I was wrong! In our neighborhood, there are many teenagers that continue to wear costumes and help the smaller children as they walk around the neighborhood Trick-or-Treating. There is a neighborhood block party where everyone gathers beforehand--there is food, candy, games, etc. My teens wore costumes and helped the kids at the block party, then they walked around the neighborhood with some of them. After all of that, you think they are going to come home empty-handed? No way! They both brought home some candy--almost as much as when they were younger. Apparently, our neighbors welcome the teens' help and reward them with treats for their services.

This is very different from when I was a teenager--I distinctly remember my last time to go Trick-or-Treating. I was 12 and my best friend was 13. We both dressed up as members of the band KISS. We were met with the same response at every house we approached--"Aren't you girls a bit old to be Trick-or-Treating?" Of course, my friend was much more developed than I was and she truly looked like a grown woman parading around asking for candy--but still, were we too old, really? I tell my teens about this story every year--they shrug it off and still go out on Halloween night--I think our neighborhood attitude and events are quite different than when I was their age and that makes a big difference. Still, I keep thinking--I wonder if they will want costumes this year and if they will go out or stay in and pass out candy--and every year they say that they will stay home but end up going out because their friends do. I wonder if this will change when we move--we will probably be living in an apartment, so that will make a difference, too. I THINK, though I don't know, but I THINK that THIS year was truly our very last Halloween where my teens wear costumes and go Trick-or-Treating (helping kids or not)--but I could be wrong! :) We've already said goodbye to most of our seasonal and holiday traditions from their childhood--this seems to be the last one to go. At first I was sad and missed the "good old days"--now I am truly ready for a completely new way of doing things. I welcome change--bring it on! :)

No comments: