Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gas Prices and Travel



I filled up with gas to prepare for our trip: $3.01 per gallon! My total was over $70!! How in the world are my teens ever going to afford to drive anywhere when they finally get their own cars? It is outrageous! Of course, the cost of EVERYTHING has gone up drastically from when I was a teenager--movies, meals at restaurants, clothes and shoes, etc.--even with part-time jobs, I'm not sure how my teens will be able to afford to go out much if I make them pay for everything themselves. Still, I expect them to learn how to earn their own way in life as they age and mature. I hope things work out for them so they can be financially responsible for themselves when the time comes--when they reach adulthood and go out into the world to make their own lives, it will be a struggle, but I hope they use their skills and good work ethics to provide for themselves and their future families. It isn't easy to make it in today's economy, but I hope hard work and a good education will see them through. Until then, it sure will be a strain on the family whenever they want to fill their cars with gas and go somewhere with their friends or dates--we may be entering one of the most expensive stages so far!

No comments: