Monday, November 12, 2007

Military Recruiters at High School



My son brought home information from the Army and Marines the other day. He is only a freshman, but the military recruiters at the high school talked to anyone who would listen. I am trying to decide how I feel about it--there are many military veterans in our family, and they are very proud to have served. They tout the benefits of things like the GI Bill and VA loans. They say that the structure of the military truly turns boys to men (only male family members have served). My son has expressed some interest--he definitely has plans for college, but he is interested in possibly serving in the military first. I will be proud of him no matter what he does. The only thing is this: it is now wartime, and the Army and Marines are looking for soldiers to deploy to Iraq. Do I want my son to go to Iraq?--no. But I do think we need more troops HERE in the USA protecting us and providing homeland security. My son has also expressed an interest in becoming a police officer--another noble way to serve and protect. He also has shown interest in the legal profession, engineering, computer graphics, and music. I don't know which direction he will choose, but I do know this--it is HIS decision, not mine. Part of him growing up and becoming a man is to stand up for what he believes and follow his passions and dreams. I think it is deplorable for parents to try to impose their dreams on their children--parents who push their kids into certain professions or other life choices--that is just wrong. THEY have to live their OWN life--and they need to plan their own path, NOT follow someone else's. Having said that--if my son goes into the military, becomes a police officer, or is somehow in harm's way, I will have the utmost respect for him and I will be proud--but I WILL worry about him if he is in dangerous situations. As a man, he will have to make those choices. As his mother, I will love him and be proud of him no matter what path he chooses.

No comments: