Monday, November 12, 2007

Teens and Sleep


Since they didn't have school today because of a teacher's workday, my son slept really late. During the summer/weekends/holidays, he often stays up very late and sleeps way into the afternoon. During school, he goes to his room at a decent hour, but I don't think he actually goes to sleep until much later. He gets up for school just fine, but he always appears tired in the mornings. He makes up for it all on the weekends and on days off of school--he then sleeps most of the day. Studies have shown that teenagers really do need more sleep than adults--the major growth spurts and brain development rely on a rested and healthy body. I think my son get enough sleep overall--and maybe a bit too much, although I don't really know exactly how many hours of true sleep he gets each night. He seems to be healthy and he does not seem sleep deprived, so I guess I won't worry. Soon he will be grown and living a busy life--grabbing a few hours of sleep whenever he can. He should enjoy these teen years where he is allowed so much free time to sleep--it won't last forever! :)

No comments: