Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Generation MySpace



I found this book at the library and have enjoyed reading it. I like the term "social networking"--it really is amazing how much socializing today's teens do online these days. My teens both spend a lot of time online: email, chatting, IM, MySpace, YouTube, etc. I try to stay as informed as possible about what is going on in their "internet world." It is important to protect them, but we can't completely shelter them from all of the bad things out there. I just want to do my best to keep them safe. Every time I hear about a teen who was harmed by someone they met on the internet, I cringe. I just hope they use good judgment at all times when on line. We talk to them about "safe sex"--we need to talk to them about "safe surfing" just as much. I think the internet is awesome in a lot of ways so I don't want to ban them from the internet--but I do want to keep them in a safe environment when they are online. It is definitely a challenge!

No comments: