Saturday, November 17, 2007

Working the Concession Stand


My son had a fundraiser for one of his clubs at school the other day. They sold refreshments at the concession stand during an afterschool event. That reminded me of my high school days--remember those concession stands during football games and other events? I think the main foods sold were hot dogs, nachos, pickles, soft drinks, hot chocolate, and candy of all kinds. Real nutritious stuff, huh? But how well would they sell organic or vegetarian foods?--probably not too well. It's no wonder why a majority of Americans are overweight and in bad health--look at what we eat: fast food, concessions at sporting events, all-you-can-eat buffets--why do we do this to ourselves? Oh, and think about how many fundraisers our kids have that revolve around unhealthy food--selling things like candy, cookie dough, doughnuts, etc.--and we BUY this stuff to support them in their efforts--meanwhile, we are stuck with lots of food that is bad for us, yet we often eat it anyway so it doesn't go to waste. I am just as guilty as everyone else--I've had my share of Girl Scout cookies and Krispy Kreme doughnuts, believe me! Still, I like it when there are fundraisers that DON'T involve food--car washes, gift wrap sales, providing services to others, sponsoring marathons and other active events--those are MUCH better than selling junk food. Oh, well--my son sold junk food to raise money, and they DID raise about $150--so I know it works--I just wish they would organize some HEALTHY ways to raise money for their clubs! :)

No comments: