Monday, February 18, 2008

This Is Your Life!



My daughter has always loved to watch home movies. She especially enjoys watching herself being born and her newborn days. I think it is SO cool that this generation can watch their entire lives documented on film (or digitally now!). I never had any home movies--our family didn't even have the old-fashioned kind of video camera. My first video was of my wedding! My kids can watch their own births, every birthday, every holiday, and the many milestones along the way. Sometimes they like to watch their lives unfold on screen--it is really cool when you think about it! My daughter watched her birth the other day--she knows what part is coming next and says, "Remember that?" I wonder--where is the line between real memories and memories of a video? Of course she does not remember being born, but she knows the video by heart and remembers the video perfectly. I'm not sure when her "true memories" begin because she can watch so much of her early life on video and remembers the "video memories." Hmm...it is an interesting concept: real memories versus created ones. Anyway, she really enjoys watching her life in videos, and I really enjoy watching them with her--how did she grow up so fast! :)

No comments: