Saturday, February 2, 2008

Bon Voyage!


My son left on his field trip today. I was surprised at how different I felt compared to how I was when he left for his first big out-of-town field trip. That was a few years ago--I kept a smile on my face as he left, but I cried and cried in the car on the way home. I also worried the whole time he was gone. This time, no tears and no sadness. Yes, I will miss him, but he will be back soon. I guess I am getting used to this letting them grow up thing--it was much harder as we began this journey toward adulthood. Now I am beginning to adjust well and I think I will be prepared to let go when the time comes. Yes, I will miss him when he leaves to go off to college, or the military, or whatever he ends up doing. But I am beginning now to prepare myself for that day--I can't believe that day will arrive in about 3 years! My daughter hasn't ever gone on these out-of-town trips--I may be a basket case when she goes on her first one. And she is my youngest, so when she leaves, my days of raising kids will truly be over. But for now, I can see that I am adjusting to the many changes that are occurring in my role as mother--I had a hard time entering the stage of mother of teenagers, but I think I am getting used to it now. It does get easier with time--and with lots of practice. Have a good trip, son! I'll see you when you get home! :)

No comments: