Thursday, February 14, 2008

Teenagers 101


I gave my parents some advice and information about my teens so things would go smoothly, and I am sure that they drew on their experiences as parents to help them as well. Still, sometimes the best way to learn about something is to just jump in and do it--sink or swim. My parents may not understand my teens' computer habits, music choices, or food selections, but that's okay. They got to know them better and learned that, while they may not always agree on things, they do love each other. I think they even had some deep and meaningful conversations together that may not have occurred during a normally brief visit. While I am sure that my parents are certainly glad that their "parenting teenagers" stage is long behind them, I do think that they realized that it wasn't so bad after all. Luckily, no big issues came up during the week that I was gone. Knock on wood--we have yet to hit the BIG problems with our teens--and I say YET because I am sure that they are coming--maybe just around the corner! As I look back at my own teen years, 14 through 16 were pretty tough! Right now, mine are 13 and 15--I am supposedly in the middle of that tough period, but it has yet to hit. YET!! As boy crazy as my daughter is now, she has yet to act on it--YET!! I am afraid of what is ahead with her regarding that! And as important as fitting in with his peers is to my son right now, so far we haven't had any really big issues--YET! I know what COULD be around the corner regarding that, and I am really worried. I just hope they get through the tough times without them being detrimental to their future. Some teenagers truly change their life course based on their youthful choices--often they end up in a not so positive direction because of problems in adolescence. Oh, how I hope to avoid THOSE issues--a few minor ones can be overcome, but some major problems can completely ruin lives. I am writing now on the good side of the equation--I surely hope to arrive on the other side of parenting teenagers with happy, healthy, and successful grown children. I certainly hope that no big issues sidetrack my teens and take them off their paths to success. Hope, pray, love, guide, teach...with these tools, I hope we can get through this stage unscathed. My teens were very well behaved for their grandparents, and all went well. I hope this streak of good luck continues! :)

No comments: