Friday, January 4, 2008

Video Games All Night Long



My son went to his friend's house for the weekend and he said that they literally stayed up all night long playing Halo 3 and other video games. I don't know how they do it! I can stay up late doing many things, but it isn't often that I could literally pull an "all nighter." I guess young people truly do have more stamina! Still, these are the same people who could literally sleep an entire weekend away! There have been many days that my teens are still in bed way into the afternoon! I guess it all balances out--stay up late and catch up during the daytime. It reminds me of when they were little and would get their days and nights mixed up! Their father seems to think that it is a terrible thing for them to do this, but I remember pulling some all nighters in my youth, too. I think their father has completely forgotten what it was like to be young. I know that it was a long time ago for both of us, but I TRY to retain as many memories as I can in order to apply it to my parenting now. I truly think that empathy can help us understand them better--looking at things from their perspective can be very helpful. We still have to make decisions as parents, but it really helps to try to see things from their point of view when possible. So have a few all nighters--enjoy it while you are young! :)

No comments: