Sunday, September 23, 2007

Wristbands?


Once my teenage daughter bought her favorite boots, she only had a little bit of birthday money left. She decided to spend the rest of her money on a set of Nike wristbands. She now has three sets: black, white, and red. I'm not sure why she thinks these are so cool, but she does. She plans to wear them during PE at school. She is semi-athletic...but PE is about the only place she uses her athletic skills. It seems that, to her, LOOKING good in PE is as important as the activities: she HAS to have the perfect shorts, t-shirt, socks, shoes, and accessories (the wristbands apparently fall into the accessories category). She is still very "girly" and wants to have the right outfit and accessories for all of her activities. Every day she meticulously chooses her wardrobe and all of the extras that go with it. Hmm.. I thought school was about learning and PE was about fitness...guess I was wrong! Apparently putting each outfit together is of utmost importance to teenage girls (mine included). I must try harder to remember all of this from my teen years: in my day, we had to wear a really ugly jumpsuit for PE, so there wasn't all of this wardrobe coordination going on...and I went to a private school with uniforms, so choosing the perfect wardrobe was reserved for special occasions. I DO remember weekends and dating, though...and yes, everything had to be "just right." Ah...now I remember! But it seems that this is now applying in many different arenas for my daughter than it did for me. Wow, that is a lot of pressure: choosing the right outfit each and every day, including PE class. I am SO glad that I am not a teenager anymore! Too much pressure to get it "just right" at all times! I hope my teens survive the pressure! Hopefully they will come up with their own style and wear what THEY want to wear, regardless of what is trendy...but for now, I think conformity seems to be the key. I wonder how I can encourage individuality when they are so wrapped up in the concept of "fitting in"?

No comments: