Monday, September 24, 2007

Mountain Biking


Last Christmas, both my son and daughter received new bikes. After years of upgrading their "kids bikes" to bigger sizes, this time they both received adult-sized mountain bikes. My theory is that they will use these into adulthood and may even want to take them to college one day. I know, cars will be of utmost importance in the next few years, but maybe they will continue to use their bikes, too. For now, my son is more into bike riding than my daughter. He even took his bike to ride on a mountain trail this weekend. I think that is great: bike riding is a healthy way to exercise and stay in shape. After seeing some of the adults who were riding the trail with him, I can see that they are almost all in great shape. Ever seen a dedicated biker? Talk about lean and mean! My son is not exactly striving to be Lance Armstrong, but biking is a good sport and an interesting hobby. He really enjoyed riding the trail and he plans to return often. Maybe my daughter will join him sometime, although they don't really enjoy doing things together very much anymore. That is the one thing I see changing the most: they enjoy much more time going their separate ways, doing their own individual things. Family time is still important, but I think there will be a lot more separation as they find their own paths in life. I enjoy watching them discover and follow their own indivisual talents and passions. Viva la difference!

No comments: