Friday, September 28, 2007

High School Football Games





My son is now in high school and he wants to go to some of the football games. I have great memories of high school football games from my teens! School spirit was a BIG part of my teen years, and football was the first sport of every school year. We cheered our team on every year as if winning the games was the most important thing to ever happen. We continued the school spirit during basketball season, but it just didn't quite reach the level of fervor as it did during football season. And baseball season...well, it just didn't get much attention at all. Honestly, I didn't know much about football and never watched it outside of my high school arena, but just participating in all of the school spirit surrounding the games was a big part of my high school life. Now my son is in this stage and I am watching him participate in this same experience. He doesn't play football, but he is very much into watching the games and rooting for his team. As a parent, I am not sure how much I should participate in the school spirit thing--he isn't a player, so he really isn't wanting me to go to the games. Long story, but he had planned to be in the marching band, but he isn't this year. I would have definitely gone to the games to see him play in the band, but now he is part of the crowd and not performing in any way. We plan on moving soon and he plans on being in the marching band at his new school next year--I guess I will wait until then to really build up MY school spirit. I will drop him off at the games this year, but he isn't wanting me to go. He just wants to hang out with his friends without me hovering--I can understand that. So football season has started, but I feel kind of left out. That's fine--it is HIS school, not mine. He really hasn't wanted me to be involved at all yet. It is hard to know how to be a good "high school parent." I WANT to be involved, but I don't want to embarrass him. So far, all he wants from me is a ride to and from school functions--and I dare not even THINK of trying to sneak in a few photos (he calls that "stalking"!). At least he is taking some photos with his own camera and letting me download some of them. It is hard to let go, but my son is letting me know that he is getting closer and closer to "leaving the nest"--I better get used to it! In the meantime, I will drop him off at the high school football games, but I won't go to them. Why do I feel that I am missing out on something?

No comments: