Sunday, November 9, 2008

Ending Friendships


My teens have been experiencing a lot of broken or ended friendships lately. More friends moved away. Some friendships were irreparably broken. My teens are preparing to move and make new friends in their new hometown. And, in just a few years, my teens will graduate from high school and move on to make new friends in new places once again. That is life in the 21st century! Our society is very mobile--no one stays in one place for very long. Still, technology has helped keep people connected even if they live many miles apart. Some of my teens' old friends still keep in touch through the internet and text messaging. I guess the saddest situations are when friendships end for reasons other than moving--a few of those situations have occurred lately. In some ways, it can be seen as a good thing--some not so good influences are no longer in the daily lives of my teens. Still, ending friendships is never an easy thing to do, even if it is the right thing to do. For now, my teens are not very happy--their friendship base is shrinking fast. They are SO ready to move to a new place and start fresh. I hope they will make some good friends when they move! I know these friends may not be lifelong, but it would help my teens get through the rest of their teen years if they had some friends going through the same things. You know the saying: "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold." Well, it is beginning to look like NEW friends may be about all there is sometimes! Here's to NEW friendships in the future!

No comments: