Sunday, January 27, 2008

Money Jar


My daughter is collecting money to buy minutes for her cell phone. She has some money from Christmas left, and she put some money in that was given to her this month. As she receives change from things, I let her keep some for her jar. She has been doing chores and earning a little bit here and there. So far, she has about $27. The goal is to purchase a $50 card, so she still has a long way to go. It just isn't worth it to buy the $25 card--not enough minutes. And she doesn't want to wait until she has enough for the $100 card, either. When she has earned and saved enough for the $50 card, we will take her jar to the nearest Coinstar machine and redeem the change for bills. I hope she really appreciates the next phone card she gets--I THINK she will be more careful with her minutes if she has to slowly earn money for the card. At Christmas, it was a bright shiny gift that she couldn't resist--now, it is a golden prize that she worked hard to earn. I hope she takes some really important lessons from this experience--I know I am trying my hardest to teach her about saving/earning/spending wisely! :)

No comments: